Slots stand out from other casino games in their variety. Players are used to what would seem like never-ending lists of slot games on any casino website, and no two games are the same! Every slot has its own advantages, perks, and bonuses – play top 10 slots. Most of the time, players will choose a game by the later specifics, but not always. There is also a little piece of information called the slot’s variance or volatility. We focus on Low vs Medium vs High variance slot games in this article.
Variance measures the level of risk within a slot game. Using this information, the player can increase their chances to win on a slot game to some extent.
Low Variance Games
Low volatility games could be perfect for those who do not intend to spend a lot of money on slots. In theory, low variance means that the slot pays out more frequently but in smaller wins. That is not to say that it isn’t possible to win big on low variance games. In practice, all slots are random thanks to the use of the RNG and anything could happen, so we wouldn’t be so fast to write low variance slots off! Here are some reasons to choose low volatility/variance games:
- These slots are considered to be the least risky!
- Fun to play games that keep your bankroll afloat and provide a longer playing session.
- Low variance could mean that you’ll trigger the bonus rounds more frequently.
Some top-performing low variance slots include:
- 1429 Uncharted Seas (Thunderkick)
- Blood Suckers (NetEnt)
- Motorhead (NetEnt)
- Gold Train (Pragmatic Play)
- Starburst (NetEnt)
High Variance Games
These slots are on the opposite end of the spectrum from low variance games. As it goes, high volatility/variance indicates that the slot can have long series of low-paying or zero return spins but could also have bursts of massive payouts. These games are normally favoured by the high-rollers who can keep “hitting” the slot for long periods of time. High variance games are a clear way to massive payouts but could also incur some losses if the player is not careful. We could sum up high variance slots in a few points:
- Considered to be the riskiest type of slot (with the exception of progressive jackpot slots) but with great risk come great rewards!
- An unpredictable game that could either rain down in some serious cash or present series of “dead” spins.
- Bonus rounds are normally hard to activate but tend to be very profitable.
Here’s a list of current, popular and high-rated slots in this category:
- Immortal Romance (Microgaming)
- Genie Jackpots Megaways (Blueprint Gaming)
- Book of Dead (Play n’ Go)
- Gonzo’s Quest Megaways (NetEnt)
- Raging Rhino (WMS)
Medium Variance Games
Last but not least are the medium variance games which many players call “the golden mean” between the already mentioned two categories. Medium volatility means exactly that – the games are neither risky nor safe, they place the player somewhere in the middle ground between frequently-paying and high-paying gameplay. Overall, these are well-balanced slots that do not have specific tendencies in the way they pay out. Massive payouts are a bit less likely but a medium variance game should provide decent and not-so-rare wins.
- Good for first-time slot players who seek a truly random slot experience!
- You are less likely to get stuck in series of “dead” spins while still keeping a chance for good payouts.
- Medium variance slots are very popular with the public because they are generally accessible to everyone, no matter the size of the bankroll.
Some of the best-reviewed and popular medium variance slots include:
- Gonzo’s Quest (NetEnt)
- Sinbad (Quickspin)
- Cleopatra (IGT)
- King Kong Cash (Blueprint Gaming)
- Vikings Go Berzerk (Yggdrasil)