The strategic approach to reaching customers through digital platforms and social content can be described as social media marketing. Successfully marketing goods or services through social media can be tracked through a variety of metrics including engagement, unique visitors, and total views. These are then used to fine-tune tactics, assess market response and increase overall business success. In this article, you will get to know about learning the importance of social media marketing at the University of Phoenix.
With more than 70 percent of the population in the United States active on social media, it is clear that these platforms are here to stay. Acknowledging that the need for marketers to connect with and convert customers on social media is on the rise, the University of Phoenix offers a non-credit Professional Development Course on Social Media Marketing Essentials to provide students with foundational knowledge in this fast-growing field.
What Is Social Media Marketing?
We live in an increasingly connected world, finding one another largely through screens and social media. As social media platforms continue to grow in size and scope, the true depth of the industry reveals itself. According to a report by Entrepreneur.com, more than 3.78 billion social media users were counted in 2021, a dramatic increase from 2020.
Social media marketing is the practice of using these platforms (such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram) to connect with audiences and build a brand, boost sales or garner more website traffic. These methods are largely replacing traditional advertising concepts ranging from billboards to newspaper ads.
The primary goals of social media marketing include:
- Drive Engagement: This can range from simply enticing people to click the ‘like button’ to sharing a post or leaving a comment. Engagement shows that content is resonating with a targeted audience.
- Boost Views: Websites track when a page is viewed or an image is clicked. Successfully using social media marketing can increase view counts while building value in a brand. These metrics are important for understanding the effectiveness of a marketing campaign.
- Total Unique Visitors: This is a measure of how many individuals are clicking into content on a website. The challenge for marketers is to turn these casual readers into actual customers.
Content marketing is the cornerstone of social media marketing and involves the creation of short-form content to generate activity. Tweets, memes, graphics, videos, blogs, and news articles are all examples of content marketing in action to build a brand’s awareness.
Importance of Social Media Marketing For Your Brand
Companies small and large turn to social media marketing to build a base of customers to connect with. A report revealed that more than 97 percent of Fortune 500 companies utilize social media marketing to create positive interactions with stakeholders. Rebecca Montchal of University of Phoenix says, “For business, social media offers the opportunity to connect authentically with the business’s consumers.”
As the new town square, social media is the platform upon which brands build everything from marketing opportunities to business goals. Here are a few other common objectives for social media marketing campaigns.
- Reach People Online: The bulk of modern shoppers obtain their information from the internet. Gone are the days where television commercials and magazine ads drive advertising conversations.
- Create New Sales: Over a quarter of all Americans will shop online every month, and advertising on social media gets brands closer to where prospects make their purchase decisions.
- Build Brand Trust: Shoppers trust brands that are familiar, and social media allows that engagement to happen organically. Marketers can aim to foster engagement through content as well as conversations with customers.
- Collect Data: Collecting key insights through targeted social media marketing can prove integral to the long-term success and vitality of a company. Analyzing customer data can also help to better target outcomes for future marketing endeavors.
The Tasks of a Social Media Marketer
Social media marketers are digital professionals who can work as part of a larger internal marketing team for companies of any size. They can also find work within a digital marketing agency or as a freelancer, consulting with businesses and entrepreneurs on the best ways to grow their customers.
These professionals help clients and employers tackle a range of marketing tasks. The most common responsibilities for social media marketers fall into several categories:
- Short and Long-Term Development: There are actions that can be taken today to grow followers while managing short-term goals including scheduling posts and creating content.
- Produce Content: Social media marketers work closely with other creatives to develop graphics, edit images and copy to share online, ranging from simple text posts to elaborate videos.
- Responding and Promoting Content: The job is not finished when the content is published. Instead, social media marketers must-read, respond and engage with users to maintain positive momentum.
Learning Social Media Marketing Today
Social media marketing is an exciting field that offers opportunities in a growing industry. Interested professionals can enroll in the professional development, non-credit Social Media Marketing Essentials course at the University of Phoenix to learn in-demand skills and toolsets to introduce you to this field.
Students of the Social Media Marketing Essentials course can learn:
- Social Media and Strategizing
- How to Plan and Publish Content
- Engagement and User Listening
- Advertising Techniques for Analyzing Results
- How to Interpret Data and Analytics
About University of Phoenix
The University of Phoenix offers professional development courses for aspiring social media marketers. Designed with professionals and adult learners in mind, this self-led, non-credit course includes more than 30 hours of instruction and is available for up to 12 months from enrollment. This allows students to embrace their ability to thrive in a new industry at a pace that works for them.
There has never been a better time to pursue higher education when and how it fits your schedule the best. Aspiring social media marketing pros can enroll today to learn the job-ready skills of tomorrow with the University of Phoenix.
Table of Contents