How to Become a Computer Engineer
The computer engineer profession is among the most requested today by companies, more and more technological: here’s how to become a black belt of PCs between software and hardware with or without a specific degree. In this guide, you can know about how to become a Computer Engineer?
Society is increasingly technological, and devices have become part of our daily life as much as entrepreneurial realities. It is no longer possible to do without the use of the PC in every professional field. Wherever there is a computer system, there is also a computer engineer, a professional figure that is increasingly in demand nowadays and who is therefore worthwhile. Consider when choosing among the many engineering degree courses. Let’s see how it is possible to become one and what exactly it does.
COMPUTER ENGINEER: THE MAN BEHIND THE SCREEN
The existence in many sectors of electronic systems and computers has led to the creation of a new profession, namely that of the computer engineer, who deals with creating and managing software, infrastructures, and devices and then processing data and information. He can also develop hardware components by applying his knowledge in the field of Information Technology (IT). We can also say that computer engineering was born as an evolution of electronic engineering, specializing in computer design.
TWO TYPES OF COMPUTER ENGINEER
Computer engineering falls into two sub-categories that will transform you into software or hardware engineers. In the first case, you will deal with the design of computer programs such as embedded systems, management systems, web sites, video games, firmware, mobile apps, and specific software for business intelligence, almost coinciding with another professional, the Software Developer.
On the other hand, the computer hardware engineer creates components such as microchips, electronic boards, circuits, and even computers. They are paying attention to indicate the performances corresponding to each element of the hardware and then create the prototypes on which to apply the product validation tests. It may even have to take care of the handwriting part.
Being one or the other, in any case, does not preclude the possibility of being able to interact in an integrated way with hardware and software.
THE COMPUTER ENGINEER IS NOT ALONE WOLF
Often, he will find himself working within a group of other types of engineers, technicians, programmers, and Software Developers, having to both sit at the desk in front of the computer and stand in the laboratory to conduct hardware tests. In short, the computer engineer has the gift of ubiquity, moving between different tasks of development, assistance, in the office and remotely: we are therefore talking about a somewhat flexible job by place and time that requires an absolute versatility.
WHERE DO YOU FIND WORK?
The IT companies are the places of choice for a computer engineer. We are therefore talking about hardware design and production companies such as smartphones, PCs, components, and home automation, and robotics, sites, apps, industrial automation, and companies that develop software, telecommunications companies that offer IT assistance. Other possible outlets for an IT engineer can be found in IT consultancy and web services agencies, obviously also as a freelancer.
COMPUTER ENGINEERING OPENS THE DOORS TO DIFFERENT SECTORS:
- Automation of services, both in the private sector and in the industry;
- Robotics, programming, and application of artificial intelligence;
- Management and development of IT services for companies;
- Creating multimedia applications for internal corporate or public use;
- Work in telecommunications and security infrastructures;
- Management and design of software and applications for telephone companies.
- PROFESSIONAL PROSPECTS
The IT engineer’s role has now established itself in a proper way and has found various declinations within the corporate landscape. The new professions related to computer engineering are different:
- Web developer
- Web programmer
- System Engineer
- Web designer
HOW TO BECOME A COMPUTER ENGINEER?
First of all, a distinction must be made between the computer engineer who can boast an academic qualification, which coincides with both a bachelor’s and master’s degrees and the professional who comes from different study paths but has become a computer engineer in the field. In Italy, there is no faculty expressly dedicated to computer engineering because it is a subject that is part of the more general degree course in engineering, together with mechanical, electronic, chemical, and computer science.
COMPUTER ENGINEER WITH ACADEMIC QUALIFICATION
If you want to become a computer engineer through a university career, the engineering faculty provides a limited entry test on various subjects: Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Logic, and Verbal Understanding. To best face this challenge, we recommend consulting a manual, such as the Alpha Test manual.
Once you have passed the entrance test, you will be able to structure a course of study that will prepare you as a computer engineer. After completing the three-year and possibly master’s exams, you will have to pass the state exam for enrollment in the Register of Engineers, announced annually by the Miur.
COMPUTER ENGINEER WITH PROFESSIONAL TITLE
If you have not followed the canonical university path, you can become a computer engineer through direct experience, albeit from other paths. To carry out this job, you can come from the world of computer science and mathematics. Indeed, suppose one cannot count on a degree. In that case, it will be possible to become a computer engineer with a single high school technical diploma, if accompanied by further or para-university training.
HOW MUCH DOES A COMPUTER ENGINEER EARN
An Almalaurea statistic recorded that 95% of IT engineers found employment in Italy, which is 68.5%, even with permanent contracts. Furthermore, 76% of graduates in the USA and Europe found a job within six months of obtaining a three-year or master’s degree.
The minimum wage as an employee reaches 1,700 $ net per month but, depending on the type of tasks performed and the tasks, it could increase. Even seniority is a factor that raises wages, reaching up to $ 2,000 net per month. On the other hand, if we are talking about freelancers enrolled in the Register and with a VAT number, annual revenues can exceed 50,000 $ net. The perspective changes further if we look to America, where the data tells a different story: the computer engineer here can enjoy an annual income of around 80,000 / 120,000 dollars.
As you have read, the possible ways for a computer engineer are many and, if he is a geek in the soul, you can have fun earning well. Get ready for the admission test, then start developing circuits and applications of the future.
Software Engineers specialize in researching, designing, evaluating, integrating, and maintaining software applications, large databases, and telecommunications software. They are employed by IT consultancy and IT services (Information Technology) firms, IT research and development companies, and IT units in both the public and private sectors, or they can be self-employed.
Software Engineering deals with production processes and development methodologies aimed at creating software systems and therefore proposes a series of objectives related to the evolution of software development.
The main goal of a Software Engineer is to design and develop the software to meet the requirements. Most Software Engineers specialize in fields such as database development and architecture.
Here is a partial, non-exhaustive list of some of the most common tasks for a Software Engineer.
1. Research, evaluate, and synthesize technical information to design, develop, and test IT systems:
- collect and document user requests and develop logical and physical specifications;
- develop data, processes and network models to optimize the architecture and evaluate the performance and reliability of projects;
- plan, design and coordinate the development, installation, integration, and operations of IT systems;
- choose the most appropriate programming language and identify the development structure to be used to speed up the entire process;
- consider cross-platform integration;
- writing efficient and correct code for the software system;
- set up automatic tests to be conducted according to the Test-Driven Development (TDD) model. In which the programmer performs the tests and programs at the same time. Making the process much more efficient and less time-consuming;
- conduct both functional tests, to make sure that everything works correctly, and “UAT” tests. (a process that aims to verify that the solutions are suitable for the user) to ensure that the product fully meets the needs of the end-user;
- perform additional integration checks to ensure that the new. A refurbished product integrates properly with other systems.
2.Supervise and contribute to the development of the project in all its phases:
- Direct, coordinate, and supervise the IT teams during the development of the software and the integrated information system and other control systems.
3.Evaluate, test, troubleshoot, document, update, and develop maintenance procedures for operating systems, communication environments, and applications:
- document every aspect and detail of the application or system as a reference for future maintenance and updates.
4. Develop and administer databases to search and accumulate a large amount of information during software development.
5. Encourage continuous improvements by researching alternatives and technologies.
6. Identify and fix the bugs presented by the developed software, after its correct implementation.
- Analyze customer needs, then design and develop software that meets them.
- Design each part of the application or system and determine how these parts will work together.
- Write the code that will develop the software system.
- Make sure the software works properly during testing and maintenance.
- Recommend updates for existing programs and systems.
- Collaborate with other professional engineers and computer scientists to create optimal software.
Read More: How to Build a Drone
Skills and Qualifications Required
1. Extraordinary computer skills
- understand computer skills and languages to create effective software.
2. Exceptional creativity in designing new software.
3. Excellent interpersonal, communication and leadership skills:
- communicate clearly, both in oral and written form, in order to create a positive environment with customers and collaborators. To be able to provide clear and understandable information during the course of work;
- be able to read and write programming codes;
- know how to collaborate in a multidisciplinary group.
4.Analytical, problem solving and critical thinking skills:
- identify and resolve issues in a timely and judicious manner;
- analyze customer needs to develop software that satisfies them.
5.Organizational, time management and attention to detail skills:
- knowing how to work both independently and as part of a team, in a busy environment;
- manage projects with tight deadlines;
- knowing how to set priorities and responsibilities in an appropriate way
To enter this field, the candidate needs a degree in Software Engineering or Computer Engineering. Applied Science, Computer Science, Information Technology, Physics or Mathematics. However, software engineering is a career that requires specific skills. Such as being able to program computers and having experience with computer systems.
Each candidate for jobs in this sector must be proficient in computer science. Data structures and algorithms, mobile applications and databases, and have a good knowledge of the English language.
Some Software Engineers choose to work in a different area of information technology. Such as systems analysis, project management or IT consulting. Others become independent entrepreneurs and work on their own for different clients. However, Software Engineers are not limited to the positions mentioned. In fact there is a wide range of job opportunities for those who hold this title. Software Engineers are often hired by web companies, high-tech companies, government agencies, healthcare institutions, manufacturing and military companies.
Software Engineers typically work five days a week during office hours. Although they may sometimes have to work overtime to meet deadlines.
Read More: Best Video Editing Software for Windows 10