Whether you use an SEO company based in Melbourne or London, or you do your SEO yourself, knowing how to write a relevant and timely SEO article is a useful skill. Writing about what’s trending in your industry — and using the right keywords to be seen by more people — is a way to boost your brand’s reputation as an industry leader. Of course, as with all things, the first steps can often be the hardest. But with this post, we’re going to give you the ultimate crash course to get you writing and ranking.
Table of Contents
Why Should You Be Posting Regular Relevant SEO Articles on Your Site?
Before you put pen to paper — or keyboard to Word document — it’s important to understand why SEO articles are so important.
1. Improve Your Search Engine Ranking
Everyone wants to be #1 on Google, but it’s going to take effort. By regularly publishing new, relevant content on your website you can show Google and other search engines that your site matters. This is because search engines prioritise websites that are updated frequently and provide high-quality content that is relevant to the user’s search query.
2. Increase Your Website Traffic
While some customers may find your site through other means, like advertising or even word of mouth, don’t neglect your organic traffic. With a higher search engine ranking, you’re going to see more organic traffic coming your way. This is one way you can see your SEO articles pay off.
3. Establish Your Authority in the Industry
Whether you’re a newcomer or an established figure, by regularly publishing relevant SEO content to your website, you’re showing the world that you are an authority on a subject. This can help build trust with your audience and make them more likely to do business with you. Similarly, this can help you stand out from the competition. Posts about what’s happening right now in your industry or even predictions of what’s to come can be just the ticket.
4. Generate More Useful Leads
When you have more organic traffic and you’re seen as a reputable figure in your industry because of all your valuable information, you’ll likely find you’re getting more sales and leads. This is because people are more likely to do business with a company that provides helpful information and demonstrates expertise in their field.
5. Increase Awareness of Your Brand
With regular, relevant content, you’re not only climbing the search engine ladder, you’re also making your brand more visible. This helps people become more familiar with your services and products, meaning they’re more likely to search you out if their needs meet your offerings.
Of course, these are just 5 of the most universal reasons to start writing today. SEO articles can also be important for your business in other ways though, like providing you with an outlet to share your knowledge and connect with your customers, or even to simply promote your latest products or sales.
Get Everything in Order to Hit the Ground Running
If you are excited to start writing, that’s fantastic! However, there is still some work to be done.
Learn About What Matters to Your Customers & Industry
First things first, you need to have something to write about. If you want your SEO article to do well, it needs to be relevant. Therefore, you need to write about something that your industry and customers care about. When you know what’s going on, you won’t have to worry about how to choose an SEO topic. The answer of what to write about will be obvious — you just need to do the SEO keyword research to leverage this topic best.
If you aren’t sure what’s currently happening or generating interest, there are ways you can find out.
For instance, take some time to explore social media. Look at platforms that your industry regularly frequents, from LinkedIn to Facebook. Are there certain names repeated? What about hashtags? What is listed as a trending topic?
You can also do this kind of research on forums and discussion boards like Reddit and Quora. Your industry might even have their own online places or print publications where these topics are discussed.
Don’t forget you can also look at your customer feedback. What do customers really like about your services or products? Do they fill a gap in the market or perfectly cater to a certain need? Look for repeated topics, concerns and more.
Know What Structure Will Work Best for Your SEO Article
Depending on where you intend to post your article, what your goal is and what your topic is, your ideal structure will vary. However, there are some key elements that no SEO article is without.
- Headline: You want to write a headline that makes people want to click and find out more. It should be engaging, while also explaining the topic of your article.
- Introduction: This is a brief summary of the topic that explains why it is relevant to the reader. A great introduction engages readers and encourages them to continue reading.
- Subheadings: Ever click onto a page chock-full of text and immediately close the window? With subheadings, you make it easier for readers to scan and understand the content. They can also help search engines understand the structure of the article and its main topics.
- Keywords: Keywords are key to your SEO success. These will be words or phrases people use to search for relevant information. Make sure to know which keywords are best for your topic and use them naturally in your article.
- Body: This is where you show off your knowledge with plenty of valuable and informative content that is relevant to the reader. This can include facts, statistics and examples to explain and explore the main topic.
- Call to action: Including a call to action at the end of the article tells readers what to do next, like visiting more of your website, subscribing to your newsletter or making a purchase.
- Meta description: The meta description is the short summary that appears under the headline in search engine results pages (SERPs). It should provide a brief summary of the article and include relevant keywords, again encouraging readers to click onto your article.
If you use the elements listed above, you have a better chance of appeasing the search engines and getting that high ranking. Not to mention, your article will be clearer and easier to read for everyone — man or machine!
Set Yourself Up to Start Writing
While some great literary writers of the past required an isolated cabin, a melancholy landscape beyond or an evocative muse, you can write an excellent SEO article without any of these things! What you need is the information to fill the topic above. This might come from your own experience, published research or even interviews with others in your industry and customers. Being able to provide real-life examples and statistics goes a long way to making your SEO article more valuable.
Similarly, you want to write in a clear, concise manner that is easily accessible. About anyone should be able to pick up your article and come away with a new and meaningful insight. If you are getting stuck, a classic writing tip is to read aloud what you’ve written. This will help you spot anything that sounds strange or does not make sense.
6 Fantastic Article Ideas to Get Your Fingers Going
Faced with a blank page, it can be daunting to start writing. But don’t worry, we’ve got some great general topic ideas you can apply to any industry to write that next awesome SEO article!
- A handy how-to article: Share your knowledge and expertise on a tricky task or process.
- An all-encompassing list: Lists are fun, easy to read and leave you with lots of great facts. What lists are relevant to your industry, from must-have software to things to look out for?
- An insightful interview: Know a mover and shaker, or an industry expert? Prepare some questions and help them share their wisdom with your readers.
- An exciting product review: Have something new on sale or a product that’s made to handle the latest problem? Write about it!
- A moving and heart-warming personal story: Real-life stories connect with readers, while also showing products, services and even theories in action.
- A thought-out and considered opinion and analysis: Explain where you stand on a particular event or story and why.
Ready to Supercharge Your SEO Articles & More?
When it comes to writing your next SEO article, it’s important to remember that you get out what you put in. If you rush your keyword research or the writing itself, it’s easy to end up with a dud post that no one wants to read. As a result, not everyone can write the killer SEO articles they want. But that’s why SEO companies exist!
If you’d love to have relevant, meaningful and engaging SEO articles and content on your website, get in touch with Blank Theory. With an experienced team of SEO strategists and talented researchers and writers, getting the SEO article you want has never been easier, thanks to this SEO company in Melbourne.